Yesterday afternoon, after spending all day running around getting this that and the other form ready for college, (And taking my math placement, good lord am I stupid. At least there is no suspicion that I cheated. ) I came home and hunkered down and knit for a bit. Yesterday was a wet and cold and rainy day, a miserable one if I ever saw one. I felt very English, all wet and cold. I was thoroughly chilled, so I came home and pulled out My Shaded Aspen Leaf Sweater, and finished casting off the body. I did a little bit of shaping on the shoulders. And just as I predicted, I ran out of the green, not enough for the sleeves. I didn’t even have enough for the rest of the body, I sort of had to stop where I was. That was halfway through the last repeat. I knew I wouldn’t have enough for the sleeves, but come on, knitting fates, not even enough for the body? Is this punishment for that time I yelled Helen McKinney? (She deserved it.)
Anyway, I ended it mid-repeat, and moved on with my life. It was long enough, but I simply was going to finish that repeat of the pattern for continuities sake. Well, that plan was blown to hell, so I just did a few short rows and called it a day. I started the sleeves yesterday with a few odd skeins of Lamb’s Pride that I had lying around. (Like you’ve never bought a few to take the edge off a particularly bad day.) And I kind of like it. Let’s just pretend all along that this was my plan. I made decent progress on this last night — it’s nice that a row of the chart doesn’t take me fifteen to do. I can knit a motif in an evening.
If you look in the back round of this picture you can see relics of knits gone past, some of which were in the (gasp) pre-blog days. (I don’t really remember what’s it’s like to knit without an audience. I don’t know how I feel about that, but I kind of like it. And even though it doesn’t look like it, this is on a knitting needle.
I blocked the body of this same sweater last night, and am happy to report that it smoothed out beautifully. It wasn’t too lumpy to begin with, but it still had a few tight spots, and a few lose ones. That has all been absolved at this point, and it looks wonderful, and fits me perfectly. (At least I think so. I haven’t cut the armholes yet, so I’ll know more then, At the moment I’ve got a perfectly fitting woolen tube top.)